Friday, March 16, 2007

Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to The Yogblog! This is where you can follow me on my quest to find the best yogurts in America.

What exactly do I mean by “the best”? Well, there’s the best-tasting, of course: fresh fruit and other flavors that are not overpowered by sugar, plus that mild but distinct tang that lets you know you are eating yogurt, not pudding--no disrespect to pudding, of course. And let’s not forget texture: I love me a smooth and creamy texture, like the kind you find in European yogurts (I studied abroad in France and Ireland, and I’m afraid their dairy products have spoiled me for life). I’m also a sucker for drinkable yogurt, a treat I enjoyed in Europe and Latin America long before it became widely available here (and we still have a ways to go).

But I’m also looking for yogurt that’s the best (or at least pretty good) for me: not too high in saturated fat, and definitely not too high in sugar. I think that oversweetening is the number one problem with American yogurts—whether it’s done with organic sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, or what have you, so many brands have obscured the “yogurty” essence of yogurt that people are now used to their yogurts tasting like dessert. In short, I don’t think any flavored yogurt needs to have more than 20 grams of sugar (that’s about 2 teaspoons of added sugar) in a 6-ounce cup, and I prefer those with 16 grams (1 teaspoon) or less. Unfortunately, many brands have blown right by the 20-gram (and sometimes even 30-gram!) line, but don’t worry—there are some really great yogurts out there that easily fit my bill.

And how about best for the earth? I certainly give bonus points to yogurts that come from well-treated, sustainably raised animals (no hormones, no antibiotics, pasture-fed, etc.), or, um, soybeans; that come in easily recyclable packaging; and that are minimally processed/have less junk (thickeners, preservatives, etc.) added to them.

Finally, because I’m cheap, I give extra points to yogurts that are best for my wallet. (If you know of a place that sells a yogurt for less than the price I’ve listed, please let me know!)

Based on these standards, I’ve come up with a scoring system that’s sure to be controversial (check out the panel on the right), but hey, that’s what comments are for! Whether you think I’m a yogurt goddess or a complete yogurt ninny, I’d love to hear your thoughts after each post.

Here are a few products I’ll be posting reviews for quite soon:
Ronnybrook drinkable (blackberry, peach, mango)
Woodstock Water Buffalo (blackcurrant, maple)
Emmi Swiss (pink grapefruit)
Wildwood Soyogurt (blueberry)

Stay tuned! And in the meantime, check out some of the yogurt and food-related links to the right.

No comments: